THE RAND CLAN

As Promised. . .

2009-03-08, Sunday

As promised, I will attempt to write a more positive, engaging narrative than my last one. In an attempt to maintain my perspective, I have been recording little vignettes of a few interactions and observations we have had with the members here in Zambia. I will write a sampling of those:

Last Sunday, I was handed a note by recently baptized gentleman. In all the innocence of a new, happy convert he said, "Sister Patterson, I love you. Please take this note to Elder Patterson and may God bless you very much." This is what the note said:

"Elder Patterson, Remember me in prayers that the Holy Ghost will make use of me next week. I will be giving a talk on tithing and fasting. For without the Holy Ghost I faint. I really thank God our Heavenly Father for His love for us in Jesus' name. Yours faithfully, Francis Chilufya Mazola."

This morning when I woke up, I thought of Brother Mazola first thing, and I prayed that the Holy Ghost would indeed help him today in his first Sacrament Meeting talk.

The Sacrament meetings in Africa always begin with very few members in attendance. Not only are the people generally not very time conscious, but they usually walk long distances and/or take public transportation—which does not make for punctuality. Thus, I loved the words of this opening prayer: ". . . and bless those who are on their way, that their feet will be hastened that they may be able to partake of the sacred sacrament emblems." The chapel was almost full by the time the Sacrament was passed. Many feet had been hastened. And now I have new words of a prayer in my own heart: "May my feet always be hastened to partake of the sacred sacrament emblems."

Another Francis we have come to know and love is a branch missionary, and he was called upon to be Elder Bisaso's companion for a few days. He dropped everything and became a full-time missionary for three days. (Elder B's companion was recuperating at our flat.) The depth of Francis' demeanor was immediately perceptible. I learned that his fortified character has come with early heartache. He is a returned missionary, about 30 years old, and he has already lost his 6 month old son to pneumonia, and his wife to child-birth complications. Death is such a frequent and premature visitor in Africa. This is what Francis Mukonda told me:

"I went to South Africa to carve out a new life for myself. I found good employment, but I could not find happiness because in Zambia, my branch was failing. Many members were shifting from the church. So I left my job and came back to help—to say, 'No, how can you run away?' For me, I can never run away from this church. In fact, it is the only place I can find to run—my only place to run for refuge." I thought I could almost hear Simon Peter responding to the Lord in the passage found in the gospel of John:

"Therefore said I [Jesus] unto you, that no man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God." (JST John 6:65-69)

True disciples, like Francis, know there is nowhere else to go.

This week is transfer week in the mission (a crazy week for Rand and me!) Sister Chimfwembe has served a mission in her own country of Zambia, just a few hours from her home. She is finished now and she has finished on a happy note. The story she told in her farewell testimony in Zone Conference has so many dear sentiments of Africa that I had to write it down as quickly as I could:

"It was just such a hard day. I was so tired. We had walked far-far and I found myself behind my companions because I couldn't get thru the muds! I prayed, 'Heavenly Father, I am tired of walking thru these muds. Please help us find someone to teach." I was just stopped, just praying in my mind, when a woman came out from a street and found me there, and asked, "What is your badge?"
And so I told her, and we just started to talking and talking. My companions missed me and came back, and talked too. And just now, this woman and her husband will be baptized. I almost did not stay on mission for this last month. For awhile, I did not know if I could stay on mission, but President Bester helped me and I stayed, but I did not know why. Now I do. I am so much grateful that Heavenly Father hears our prayers, even when—yes—we are tired and low on faith."

Yesterday, we attended the baptism of Sister Chimfwembe's sweet-couple converts. We sat next to Sister C. and felt her joy. It was the joy that makes all the muds of the world worth the trouble.

At the end of the baptism, a stirring talk was given from 3Nephi 27. Afterwards, I asked the couple what they were going to do to celebrate their baptism. The husband took his wife's hand and said, "We are going home to read 3rd Nephi." Smiling broadly and nodding, his young wife replied, "Yes, that is what we plan to do." And never have I heard of a celebration that sounded more beautiful.

Humbly, I will tuck these treasured tidbits of testimony deep into my reservoirs of faith, and pull them out to help me pass through the muds of mission life,and beyond.





No comments:

Post a Comment